And the health woes continue….

So yesterday, I woke up with a really sore throat. It hurt to swallow and, as the day went on, it started to hurt to talk. Plus it felt all raw and swollen. But no worries, I thought. It’s just the aftermath of all my sinus and throat woes at the start of the month.

Got through the work day, but drinking anything – warm or cool – wasn’t setting my throat at ease. So I decided to go to the doctor after work.

I suppose I should have known something was up when, upon checking in to the doctor’s office, they gave me a face mask (see photo below) and put me in the separate smaller waiting room. Away from the main waiting room. Away from other people.

Strep and mono tests came back negative. Whew.

But I might have the mumps.


Won’t know for sure until Friday at the earliest – the mumps test they did had to be sent up to Mayo Clinic to be run. If it is mumps, I will not be able to return to work until Monday. Yup, I am effectively in quarantine until at least Friday. Which is sort of a moot point since I live with three family members.


I’ve already missed enough work this month because of health reasons. I know I can’t help it, because it’s the germs and the nature of the illness and whatnot. I understand it’s not my fault.

I was racking my brain last night, trying to remember when I got my last MMR booster shot. Not since high school, I think! That’s bad of me, because I’ve been out of school for several years now.

I’m more concerned about how I could have come down with mumps.

I know the University of Iowa has been stricken with cases of mumps (hopefully my cousin Kathlyn is safe from it). The very nearest I can figure is I might have gotten it from a school kid on the city bus. The city bus drops off at both a middle school and a high school, and a sizeable number of kids ride the city bus. It could have been any one of them, any day I rode the bus in the morning. But, as Older Sister pointed out last night, I could have really gotten it from anywhere, even a hockey game.

Plus, Mom said that, because of my earlier illnesses and antibiotic use, my immune system may not have been up to snuff, which made it easier for the mumps to take hold.

Another thing that had me freaked out was the incubation period for mumps. Apparently, it’s anywhere from 18 to 25 days for symptoms to become apparent. Which means, I could have caught it late last year sometime and I never even knew it. Which means, I could have passed it on to anyone, including Johnny, my coworkers, and Younger Brother.


Just a rash of bad luck, health wise.

Once again, this is not an indication of how the year is going to go. I won’t let it be.

So, I’ll be taking another nap shortly. See you later. I’ll try to do better next post.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s