It’s been a long week, but it’s Friday!
Happy Friday, all!
WHEN TULIPS BLOOM
by Henry Van Dyke
When tulips bloom in Union Square,
And timid breaths of vernal air
Go wandering down the dusty town,
Like children lost in Vanity Fair;
When every long, unlovely row
Of westward houses stands aglow,
And leads the eyes to sunset skies
Beyond the hills where green trees grow;
Then weary seems the street parade,
And weary books, and weary trade:
I’m only wishing to go a-fishing;
For this the month of May was made.
I guess the pussy-willows now
Are creeping out on every bough
Along the brook; and robins look
For early worms behind the plough.
The thistle-birds have changed their dun,
For yellow coats, to match the sun;
And in the same array of flame
The Dandelion Show’s begun.
The flocks of young anemones
Are dancing round the budding trees:
Who can help wishing to go a-fishing
In days as full of joy as these?
I think the meadow-lark’s clear sound
Leaks upward slowly from the ground,
While on the wing the bluebirds ring
Their wedding-bells to woods around.
The flirting chewink calls his dear
Behind the bush; and very near,
Where water flows, where green grass grows,
Song-sparrows gently sing, “Good cheer.”
And, best of all, through twilight’s calm
The hermit-thrush repeats his psalm.
How much I’m wishing to go a-fishing
In days so sweet with music’s balm!
‘Tis not a proud desire of mine;
I ask for nothing superfine;
No heavy weight, no salmon great,
To break the record, or my line.
Only an idle little stream,
Whose amber waters softly gleam,
Where I may wade through woodland shade,
And cast the fly, and loaf, and dream:
Only a trout or two, to dart
From foaming pools, and try my art:
‘Tis all I’m wishing–old-fashioned fishing,
And just a day on Nature’s heart.
So this weekend, I broke my self-imposed rule of never drinking alcohol.
Hear me out.
It was a trying weekend. We spent the weekend in Illinois with much of the family, and just came back today, a couple hours ago as a matter of fact.
Yes, it was a trying weekend. And no, I will not tell you why.
Saturday night, some of my cousins and I went to the small town bar for drinks. It was me and my cousins Gina, Melissa, Erin, Audrey, Brian, and Ben. No one else came with us. And we are all of age, just so you know.
All my cousins got alcoholic beverages. And, to stand in solidarity for the purpose of our toast, so did I. I got a simple Sprite and vodka tonic (thank you, Johnny). Because, you know, I’ve heard said it’s bad luck or bad karma to toast with just water.
I will say that drink went right to my head, and I didn’t like how dizzy it made me feel. I’d probably be one of those people who couldn’t hold her liquor to save her life, so I don’t intend to ever drink again. Or, at least, not mass quantities at once.
But I did it. Drank it.
And I’m proud I did it and drank it. Because it was for good reason.
So, you know, that was a bright spot of this weekend.
I love my family so much.
So this is one of my favorite songs from “Animaniacs.” The International Friendship Song.
Featuring Professor Otto Von Schnitzelpusskrankengescheitmeyer. That name kills me. And, once it gets going, and you see where it’s going, it’ll be funny, too.
As an added bonus, the “Pinky and the Brain” theme song is featured at the very end.
Enjoy! And Happy Friday!
Because this song has been knocking around in my head all day!
Don’t know why.
From their 1998 album “Stunt,” this is the Barenaked Ladies with “One Week.”
1. What is more difficult for you: looking into someone’s eyes when you are telling someone how you feel, or looking into someone’s eyes when they are telling you how they feel?
~ A little of both. For the longest time when I was younger, I operated under the silly assumption that eye contact was rude. I don’t know why, but I honestly did think that way. I have since gotten better with eye contact, but sometimes in certain moments it is hard to maintain. It’s not that I’m lying or anything when I look away. It’s just, the moment has become too intense, or I just feel too darn awkward. You know?
2. Think of the last time you were really angry. Why were you angry? Do you still feel the same way?
~ I can’t really remember the last time I was really angry, so I can’t answer this well. No, I don’t still feel the same way.
3. You are on a flight from Honolulu to Chicago non-stop. There is a fire in the back of the plane. You have enough time to make one phone call. Who do you call? What do you tell them?
~ Eh, my phone wouldn’t even be on during a flight. Because I’m so damn paranoid about plane crashes in the first place. I know that nowadays, there is an airplane mode on a lot of phones, but that still doesn’t set my mind at ease, so no, my phone is not on during flights. Don’t think I don’t care! I would want to call everyone I know, just to tell them I love them one more time.
4. You are at the doctor’s office and he has just informed you that you have approximately one month to live. Do you tell anyone/everyone you are going to die? What do you do with your remaining days? Would you be afraid?
~ Yes, I tell everyone I am going to die, though not for sympathy sake. Those I love deserve to know. I live out my remaining days as best I could, perhaps going to one place I’ve always wanted to go to above all others. I would be afraid, but I’d have love, so I wouldn’t be as afraid as I would have been if I was spending those days alone.
5. You can only have one of the following two things: love and trust. Which do you choose? Why?
~ That’s a strange question, because you honestly and for truly cannot have one without the other. I mean, I’d need both in equal amounts. I couldn’t have just one.
6. You are walking down the street on your way to work. There is a dog drowning in the canal on the side of the street. Your boss has told you if you are late even once more, you are fired. Do you take the time to save the dog’s life? Why or why not?
~ You bet I save the dog! I love animals. I couldn’t live with myself if I let the dog drown.
7. Would you rather be hurt by the one you trust the most or the one you love the most?
~ Once again, this is a strange question. I both love and trust a lot of people, in equal amounts. Either one would be an awful thing to experience. I would hope I’m never hurt at all in that way by anyone.
8. Your best friend confesses that he/she has feelings for you more than just friendship. He/she is falling in love with you. What do you (or did you) do/say?
~ I would gently tell this friend that I am already in a relationship, but I love this friend as a friend, and my feelings for this friend would not change in that regard, which in the long run would be for the best. I dunno. Does that seem harsh? Hopefully, I’m never in that situation.
9. Think of the last person who you know that died. You have the chance to give them 1 hour of life back, but you have to give up one year of yours. Do you do it? Why or why not?
~ Hmm. Interesting question. Give up one year of my life for merely one hour for that person? Why can’t it be the opposite – they get one year of life back, but you give up one hour of yours? I’d definitely do that. Don’t call me harsh or uncaring, but I don’t think it’d be worth giving them just one hour back. You know? Because for me, it’d be Father Mike I’d want brought back to life, and he has so much more to give than just one hour. You know?
10. Are you the kind of friend that you would want to have as a friend?
~ I don’t know. And I’m being totally honest when I say that.
11. Does love = sex?
~ Not necessarily.
12. Your boss tells your coworker that they have to let them go because of work shortage, and they are the newest employee. You have been there much longer. Your coworker has a family to support and no other means of income. Do you go to your boss and offer to leave the company? Why or why not?
~ Yes, I go to the boss and offer to leave, if that means my coworker could stay on. That’s just the way I roll.
13. When was the last time you told someone honestly how you felt regardless of how difficult it was for you to say? Who was it? What did you have to tell the person?
~ In general, Johnny has asked me questions that have really made me think, and sometimes it is difficult to find the words to verbally express what I mean.
14. What would be (or what was) harder for you to tell a member of the opposite sex: that you love them or that you do not love them back?
~ That I do not love them back. Again, hopefully, I’m never in that position.
15. What do you think would be the hardest thing for you to give up? Why would it be hard to lose?
~ Writing. Because how else would I express myself in certain ways?
16. Excluding romantic love, when was the last time you told someone you loved them? Who were they to you?
~ I tell my family members I love them all the time, because they’re family, and I do love them dearly.
17. If there was one moment and one time in the last month, what would you change and why?
~ Huh? I don’t really understand the question.
18. Imagine it is a dark night, you are alone, it is raining outside, you hear someone walking around outside your window. Who do you wish was there with you?
~ Just a man with a baseball bat. Could be Johnny, could be Dad, could be a Brother, I don’t care, as long as one of them is there.
19. Would you give a homeless person CPR if they were dying? Why or why not?
~ Yes. Why wouldn’t I?
20. You are holding onto your grandmother’s hand and the hand of a newborn that you do not know as they hang over the edge of a cliff. You have to let one go to save the other. Who do you let fall to their death? What was your rationale for making the decision?
~ Oh god! I couldn’t drop either one! That’s such a sad question!
21. Are you old fashioned?
~ I suppose I am in some ways.
22. When was the last time you were nice to someone and did not expect anything in return for it?
~ I don’t ever expect anything in return. It’s true. I’ve often been told I’m “too nice,” but that’s just the way I am.
23. Which would you choose, true love with a guarantee of a broken heart, or never loved at all? Why?
~ Ooo. I’d choose the true love option. Just to know what it feels like to love someone so much like that. I mean, it doesn’t say how the heart is broken. Could be at the true love’s death, you know? Thereby giving me and my true love the opportunity to spend the rest of our lives together, and I’d be heartbroken by his passing. Or maybe I’m just being too optimistic?
24. If you could do anything or wish anything, what would it be?
~ I am keeping that to myself for the time being. Just because. It’s not a lie – it’s merely an omission.
(NOTE: All images courtesy of Google search for varying search terms. No copyright infringement is intended, at all.)